Noxious and Offensive Activity

Noise Violations

The Police Department is responsible for the enforcement of Noise Ordinance violations involving people generated or controlled noises which are considered disturbances of the peace. The following is a list of Los Angeles Municipal Code (LAMC) sections of the Noise Ordinance and a summary of the elements that constitute a violation:

  • 41:32 LAMC – Theater sound amplifiers audible to human ear at a distance of more than 50 ft beyond the property line of the theater.
  • 41.40 LAMC – Construction before 7:00 a.m. or after 9:00 p.m., Mon-Fri, or before 8:00 a.m. or after 6:00 p.m., Saturdays and National Holidays. NO CONSTRUCTION ON SUNDAYS; except individual homeowner.
  • 41.57 LAMC – Loud and raucous noise anytime from sound making or sound amplifying device in his/her control (conditions apply).
  • 41.58 LAMC – Loud Party
  • 53.63 LAMC – Barking Dogs (enforcement by Dept of Animal Regulations 888-452-7381)
  • 80.36.3 LAMC – Commercial trucks idling near a construction site before 6:30 a.m. (Rubbish trucks exempt see 113.01)
  • 112.01 LAMC – Loud TV’s, stereo’s, musical instruments, amplified music at any time.
  • 112.04 LAMC – Powered equipment and other devices before 7:00 a.m. and after 10:00 p.m.
  • 112.05 LAMC – Maximum level of powered equipment or hand tools between 7:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m.
  • 112.06 LAMC – Places of entertainment (warning sign required if noise level exceeds 96 dBA).
  • 113.01 LAMC – Refuse or garbage collection within 200 ft of a residence prohibited before 6:00 a.m. and after 9:00 p.m.
  • 114.01 LAMC – Vehicle repairs before 8:00 a.m. or after 8:00 p.m.
  • 114.02 LAMC – Unreasonable operation of a motor vehicle anytime (idling long periods, racing engine, etc, in a residential area)
  • 114.03 LAMC – Vehicles loading or unloading before 7:00 a.m. or after 10:00 p.m. within 200 ft of a residence.
  • 114.04 LAMC – Audible signaling device operated within residential zone or within 500 ft, heard for a distance greater than 200 ft for any purpose.
  • 114.05 LAMC – Audible advertising device operated within 200 ft of any residential building between 9:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. while operating a catering truck.
  • 115.02 LAMC – Amplified sound, loudspeakers, music, etc., including vehicles.
  • 116.01 LAMC – Loud, unnecessary, and unusual noise anytime.


Reporting Illegally Parked Cars

Contact the Parking Violations Bureau, Department of Transportation, at 213-485-4184 or 818-374-4823 or 1-800-ABANDON/1-800-222-6366, and an officer will be dispatched. If the person who reported the illegally parked vehicle lives at the location, goes out to meet the officer, and explains to them that he or she lives at the location and cannot leave the driveway due to its being blocked, the officer can impound the vehicle. There is additional information online at 800.htm.


What Can I Do About My Noisy Neighbors?

A noisy neighbor may create a disturbance by having a loud television, stereo, or radio. These types of complaints are best handled by calling 877-ASK-LAPD. Officers from your local police station will respond to the reported location to resolve the noise complaint. The Noise Enforcement Team (NET) is responsible for the investigation of complaints of ongoing and aggravated noise which require monitoring with sound level meters or which are of a habitual nature. Common examples are on-going early construction, business deliveries, and early morning trash pick-up before 7:00 a.m. The Noise Enforcement Team can be reached at 213-996-1251 during normal business hours.